Jun

Ultimate Mac Emulation…Safari For Windows. Not Even Kidding

It’s here and it’s actually a surprise. We knew we were going to hear about secret-until-now features about Leopard. We figured there would be talk about iPhone’s third party capabilities. But this takes the cake. Safari on Windows? I seriously thought he was joking. Nope. No joke.

I am typing this on Safari 3 on my BlackBook, and I highly recommend (and if I could, I would even require) that you download Safari 3 whether you’re a Windows or Mac user. The speed on this is blazing. Leaves Firefox in the dust!

You can click here to download it. I suggest you do so ASAP. I can’t even begin to express the urgency one should do this in.

UPDATE: Two days after the download and I’ve had not even one crash. I Ran it side by side with Firefox and I actually became impatient with Firefox 2. Maybe Firefox 3 will change things, but right now Safari 3 is much faster. Have any mac users with this beta had any crashes? I have yet to have any at all, and I run pretty resource-hungry websites. I have only noticed one bug. On the game iLike in Facebook, the game tells me there is an error receiving my answer the first time, but the second time it works. Other than that though, absolutely nothing.

Comment by William on 2007-06-11 19:38:51

Everything leaves Firefox’s slow and unresponsive self in the dust, so saying that Safari is faster isn’t really saying anything. What’d be amazing is if it were faster than Opera, which it isn’t. Still, it’s cool that Windows now has the second best browser out there.

Comment by Jeroen on 2007-06-11 20:03:18

Downloaded it, tested it, deleted it

most of the sites aren’t shown like they should! for example GMail works like shit in Safari 3 for Windows

I’m not saying Safari is bad, but this beta is far from final ;)

Comment by Jugalug on 2007-06-11 21:26:48

I hate the font used, and the ClearType is awful. Speed is good, but I’m back to FireFox because it displays pages better.

Comment by Tim MacQueen on 2007-06-11 21:37:00

i’ll keep it (for screen shots) but i’m back to fire fox, because it’s just so customizable!

Comment by Alex on 2007-06-11 23:05:02

I really like the fonts and look of it. However there are somethings I like firefox more for though:

1. It loads up faster
2. Loads pages way faster
3. So much more customizable
4. Adblock

Still I understand that this is still beta so I’m going to keep it on my computer, but probably use firefox.

Comment by AKA on 2007-06-11 23:50:09

I actually really like the font-smoothing on this. It’s smooth and creamy, just like I want it. I like the embossed bookmarks text and the left-sided tabs (can be done on FF, but anyway…). It seems to load pages faster than FF, though. Might be my computer.

Comment by GEORGE on 2007-06-12 00:02:28

Its nice to finally have a webkit browser on windows. Kinda glitchy right now (unable to download with it for some reason) but has potential to be most excellent.

Comment by William on 2007-06-12 00:04:33

Lol, Firefox DOES NOT display paged better. How? Because it fails the web standards compliance test where Safari and Opera pass it. No offense, but Firefox displays pages wrong and Safari displays them right.

Comment by ANNOYMOUS on 2007-06-12 00:42:04

ok, i have used just about every web browser:internet, firefox, netscape,opera, flock etc etc. i downloaded safari and i must say it compares hight with flock+ firefox, after a couple times used, safari speeds up, and starts up quicker, loads pages faster, the only downfall is that IT IS NOT VERY CUSTOMIZABLE, in that department lys firefox and flock(a very similar to firefox browser). I reccomened safari to those who want their PC to “look like or imitate a mac” and for the average joe, i would stick to something like firefox or opera- if going for performance.

Comment by AKA on 2007-06-12 01:57:30

lol William, I agree. Comparing the font-rendering, especially, between Safari & Firefox, Safari wins. Rendering is really good in Safari so far. But whatever. Each to his/her own, I guess.

Still, I never liked the way fonts looked in Firefox. It just didn’t look very smooth. I guess I don’t like “crispier” looking fonts.

Comment by COdy on 2007-06-12 02:30:54

Worlds fastest Browser!!!
I tested them all base on their speed and here are the result.

1.Safari 3.0 (Excellent)
2.Netscape Navigator 9.0(Very Good)
3.Internet Explorer 7.0 (Good)
4.Opera(Good)
5.Firefox(Good)

Comment by Lord Kokkei on 2007-06-12 04:08:10

Mac version’s Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than windows version It’s proven because I have both on the same machine via bootcamp

Comment by Mark on 2007-06-12 04:43:48

I am happy that Apple is making these apps available on PC. I have read with interest the various comments and I guess the speed and workability will remain both a logon/browser speed issue and a subjective preference.

What drives me crazy about these apps is that I want to be able to evoke Mac options to the interface. Because I work almost exclusively on Mac, I would prefer to be able to make the PC apps behave in a similar fashion - ie layout, buttons etc.

I recognise the fact that the default needs to be “PC orietated”, but not everyone wants to keep it that way..

I look forward to seeing how this evolves

Comment by William on 2007-06-12 07:19:56

Cody, um… No. Opera is the worlds fastest. I don’t care if you tested them or not, I’ve used them all on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and Opera performs the best. After that, however, Safari is the second I feel.

Comment by fyton5 on 2007-06-12 11:00:32

omg… LOL! i installed it on vista and first pressed the bookmark button… CRASH!
and pressed it after a restart agin… CRASH!
restarded and clicked the add bookmark button… and again… crash!

this is far awy from perfect…
i mean:

1. it has a fil, edit, view menu!
2. crash, crash, crash
3. no colored close maximize minimize orbs. (time for a plugin ppl!)
4. scrollbar arrows

i know this is still a beta but anyway… THX APPLE! XD

Comment by Ojalord on 2007-06-12 12:56:53

^ Well, it didn’t crash for me. But it’s still too bad. I mean, for get about the features (Opera’s the best that way *and* the fastest to boot) but this doesn’t even have the looks. I mean, why does it have that greasy, plastic look. Where’s the clean Safari brushed look!!? You can’t even use this thing for screenshots! I’m sorry if I’m ranting, but this is too bad, >:(

Comment by alang on 2007-06-12 13:15:50

to avoid safari crash on vista, please run it compatible with Windows Xp.

Comment by Pedro Dordio on 2007-06-12 15:28:37

So far I hate it.

the text on webpages isn’t displayed, the menus are there but the text is invisible.
every time I try to bookmark or open the bookmarks list it crashed.

I’m hoping this is bug related and I’ll keep it for sometime to see if a solution comes out.
I’ve been waiting for this that I don’t mind waiting a little more.

Comment by Ile Kauppila on 2007-06-12 16:19:19

Didn’t work very well. Webpages weren’t displayed correctly, there was text missing and other stuff. Plus it was slow. Quite slow. BUT, if they fix it up, I believe it’s gonna be one of the best browsers available. Won’t delete it anyways.

And I’m talking ’bout the Windows version.

Comment by schizotechgeek on 2007-06-12 18:18:04

Does anyone know of a way to sync between Firefox and Safari bookmarks?

I use both browsers, but right now everything is in my Firefox browser… I’d love to be able to have seamless syncing between the two.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Comment by Emiya Shiro on 2007-06-12 18:39:00

I have this Safari 3 beta but it has lost of bugs and when i lounch it i show’s me Windows error which say that safari has some error and will be colsed so i cant us this web browser :/

Comment by William on 2007-06-12 19:08:35

Ojalord: They’re doing away with the brushed look in the next release of Mac OS X. The entire theme of it will basically be like the current iTunes, even down to finder. They were getting complaints of an inconsistent look, so now they’re making a consistent one.

Comment by wizkidweb on 2007-06-12 19:24:51

This is the greatest browser around, and it’s now for PC! I can’t believe it! Well, I think someone should make a plugin to disable the text menus and have the colored orbs on the top to make it more mac-like.

Comment by Synergi on 2007-06-12 19:33:03

Installed Safari 3. Big expectations. Downer.
Re-installed Mozilla Firefox. Better. Applied Safari-skin to Firefox. Happy again :)

Reasons? Same as the majority of ppl who commented above…

Comment by Joseph on 2007-06-12 22:16:16

I liked the Safari, tested ot out a bit and found it loads pages faster than firefox, but it uses way too much memory than firefox, 5 times more! They need to do something about that.

Comment by Andrew on 2007-06-12 22:33:01

If Safari crashes get Flock browser, if u like the cute look of mac.

Comment by Ojalord on 2007-06-13 03:28:37

@William: I did find that out. I’ve never liked the iTunes default look anyway and it was pretty depressing to know that that’s the look every app was going to have now. I mean, I nearly puked at the screenshots of the new Finder on Apple’s webpage. And why the hell would anyone in their right minds want to browse files in cover-flow mode…Oh well, I guess it’s pretty subjective. I shouldn’t rant on so. Sorry.

I think I’m one of the luckier few who’ve got away with fewer bugs showing up. There are a few glitches, though. For example, the screen will ‘tear’ when scrolling a webpage; And the window maximises or restores in a very drunken manner. BTW, does someone know how to get a new tab button onto the toolbar…

Comment by Ojalord on 2007-06-13 03:33:00

@ Andrew, I didn’t get the relation between Flock and the cute, mac look. One might as well as use Opera with the Expedition skin or Firefox(if very desperate) with the Macfox themes. Why Flock?

Comment by William on 2007-06-13 05:03:12

Ojalord: Yeah, I am really not wanting to upgrade my Mac now lol. The new dock is pretty cool I guess, but I want my taskbar to be fully visible, I hope they make that possible. As for the look, I think that brushed metal is nice, but was getting old. I just hate what they replaced it with, though the new sidebar in folder is great now. And the new icons are okay, but still pretty bad. I hope they decide to give us the option of old theme and new theme in the new release, other-wise I guess I’ll go buy Shapeshifter.

Comment by Cristian on 2007-06-13 08:15:29

Downloaded, installed, uninstalled. Well I guess this beta needs major debugging… I tried it on 3 PC with WinXP SP2 and can’t even get simple pages to display properly… missing menus, missing text… And I am talking about very popular sites such as dpreview, tomshardware, anandtech or eBay..
I will give Safari another chance when the final version become available. Now it is simply unusable for me.

Comment by Fusionice on 2007-06-13 13:59:24

If the font smoothing could be for Firefox, I’d keep it. I just like all the mac styles it has. I keep getting “Failed to load page”, but I hope it is way better for the final.

Comment by Sara on 2007-06-13 14:45:46

IT’S A BETA, PEOPLE. Beta means that yes, there are going to be problems with the program. You report them, Apple receives the info and fixes the problem(s) for the stable release (which is set for October).

No logical human being expects a beta to yield the greatest web browser in history - there are bound to be a few hiccups along the way.

Comment by aoleks on 2007-06-13 18:06:17

you really have ballz to compare safari with firefox, not to mention the dust stuff. now don’t get me wrong, i’m a mac user and i adore everything apple-related but there’s no way safari (on pc or mac) is better than firefox. there is no better browser… please make us all a favour and edit your post.

Comment by Sandrix on 2007-06-13 21:25:32

Guys Guys! It’s just a public beta version! You shoud be thankfull for even releasing it as public.

In fact Safari LOADS PAGES FASTER THEN ANY OTHER BROWSER IN THE WORLD(ON MAC, haven’t tested it yet on windows, but I’m sure that result will be same)! EVEN MICROSOFT AGREES WITH ME!

BTW It shouldn’t be customizable IMHO, it’s Apples official theme(Just like they did it in windows version of iTunes(but then some evil guy released the multi plugin and ruined everything, I hate that little app)).

Bug Report:

1. If you try to click on link somewhere on the page - WITCH IS NOT YET FULLY LOADED - Safari displayes “Uknown Error”

Some Method to fix other bugs:

Set The Regional settings to English(unided states) that shoud fix the bug with bookmarks, preferences saving etc.

cheers.

Comment by yome on 2007-06-14 05:57:43

ohhhh yeah :-)

Comment by Cristian on 2007-06-14 07:43:55

To everybody out there pointing out that 1) this is just a beta AND 2) safari is fast. Well I would expect some bugs and crashes, yes. That would be normal for a beta. But I would also espect the browser to display decently most websites and, unfortunately, this is not the case (not yet, at least). So for the time being, this beta is simply unusable for me, too much missing parts in websites.. invisible text, invisible menus…

Comment by William on 2007-06-14 08:08:49

aoleks: There is a better browser than crappy old Firefox, and that’s called Opera.

Comment by williamn on 2007-06-14 08:24:08

fast enough for me. and o yeah, gmail works fine.

Comment by fyton5 on 2007-06-14 10:40:24

hey! ver 3.0.1 hope this one is better XD

Comment by choochee on 2007-06-15 11:02:56

nothing special. win version is not faster than firefox and no other browser in general is easy to use, customizable and secure as firefox. just get a safari theme for your firefox and enjoy both worlds…

Comment by Joseph on 2007-06-15 14:42:48

firefox all e way! With its customizability, i really can’t ask for more!
ps: firefox can be mod to look like safari, u just need to correct extensions and themes.
Safari, i would say, are for noobs. I do not see how is it easier to use……..
All browsers have the same design (forward, backward, stop, reload, address bar, search bar, menus, bookmarks, RSS….). I do not see how is it “easier to use” as claimed by apple.
Furthermore, with nowadays’ broadband connection, i do not see how much my internet speeds differ across different browsers.
(i hav used IE 6, IE 7, Firefox in mac and PC, Safari in mac and PC and Opera)
in my opinion, Firefox is the way to go for me. Its prefetch feature works simply great

Comment by Caustic on 2007-06-16 22:30:47

I’m having that missing text problem too.

Comment by rootkowski on 2007-06-19 08:00:27

I’m a bit late out here, but I found this one yesterday and I thought it might be interesting for someone: http://john.jubjubs.net/2007/06/14/a-pictures-worth-100m-users

For me that was the deciding drop. I like and appreciate mozilla firefox far too much to stand someone talking openly about stealing users from them. Mr. Jobs got really some things wrong. But I guess if you are interested you’re gonna find more on the subject.

Right now safari is out of my pc (I’m quite angry… and idealistic ;-) )

Comment by Anonyymipygmi on 2007-06-20 18:54:02

What would be amazing was that the steaming pile of shi.. Safari, would actually work and display the webpages correctly instead of crashing every 5 f¤cking minutes

Comment by Yahzee on 2007-07-07 00:29:38

Safari is completely working for me. The only (BIG) thing, is that I cannot save webpages. Dont know why. I suppose they will fix it in another release. But anyway Im using it like crazy to test my site

Comment by Tina on 2007-07-17 19:26:53

Safari is working pretty good
for me. I actually like it’s
font rendering better than
Windows’ font rendering. Is
there any way I can emulate
it in Windows? Curious.

Comment by Calvin on 2008-06-20 05:05:56

Tina, no. ClearType is as close you get. In Vista, it’s always on, and in XP you have to go into Right-click desktop->Properties->Appearance->Effects->Font Smoothing->ClearType.

I don’t understand why people like Apple’s hideous font smoothing, but that’s just me.