Aug

Things We Hate We’ll Never Get Rid Of: Hollywood Gossip, The iMac Chin!!!

We all knew we were getting a new iMac today. I was so hoping for something similar to the mockup I posted yesterday, but what the released instead is pretty great too.

That’s what it looks like.

I just wish they would have gotten rid of the chin. Mind you, it is smaller which is appreciated. Remember when they used to release iMacs that went through total overhauls? Yes I know iMacs G1 through G3 all looked the same, but there were dramatic jumps from G3 to G4(still the best looking in my opinion) to G5. And now on to the 6th generation.

It looks very similar to the 5th and 5th and a half generation, just with different materials and a slightly updated appearance.

Though: I have to say I hated the 5th generations, but would actually consider purchasing this for my home or even studio (my real job is a music producer). Not to mention the base 20″ this time around is very affordable at $1199. All of this combined with the new iLife and we got ourselves an overall winner.

So, my final verdict before purchasing/testing: Satisfying. It could look better, but what they have now is good too.

Comment by AKA on 2007-08-08 05:05:58

Euh. I think the black frame is kind of distracting. And it doesn’t look very consistent with the rest of the iMac.

The keyboard looks sleek and sexy.

The iMac “chin” doesn’t bother me too much, though.

Comment by richard on 2007-08-08 09:54:05

What kind of music do you do? Do you have a website/myspace profile? Would love to hear it…

Comment by Infinity on 2007-08-09 00:54:32

iMac G1? Never existed mate. The reason that the iMac *used* to be named G3, G4 and G5 was because of the processor type that was inside them (aka the PowerPC G3, PowerPC G4 and PowerPC G5) and the first iMac in 1999 used a 233Mhz G3 processor. It was never actually called the iMac G3 until the ’swivel-head’ iMac came along and a way to distinguish the old and new models was required, thus the older ones were called iMac G3s and the new iMac was christened the iMac G4.

Apple also gave up that naming scheme with the switch to Intel chips, thus this is not the 6th generation. This is the fourth major industrial design change, however if we count the change to Intel as a new version, this is the seventh version (not counting minor revisions and speed bumps.

Comment by Adam on 2007-08-09 00:58:00

hey richard sorry about that. I’m only a recent switcher. (Feb of 07) Thanks for the info

Comment by Ixon on 2007-08-09 02:53:00

Heh, I think the black in contrast to the gray looks well.. ugly.. Apple went all Microsoft on this redesign if you ask me..

They should have just did them like the Macbooks, all one solid color.. atleast a solid colored face plate on the front.. then make the back brushed metal..

I am strongly disliking these new directions Apple is taking with it’s style..

Although the keyboard.. is almost half as sexy as me.. lol

Comment by Chek on 2007-08-12 22:53:44

Ixon, you really need to look closely at the iMac! it is allunimum! and glass
it is amazing, and soon to be mine! :) :) :)