Jun

Safari 3 for Windows hits 1,000,000 downloads

And to be perfectly honest, probably at least 750,000 deletions. Wednesday though, Apple released the first update which can be downloaded through the Apple Software Update program. I think the fact that Safari for Windows hit a million downloads is shocking, because other than in the tech-related realm of things people seem to not care. So Apple has reason to celebrate. What Windows users downloaded Safari? Anyone keep it?

Comment by Akuma99 on 2007-06-15 01:59:28

I was one of the 750,000 … mainly due to it crashing constantly, have to try the update I guess.

Comment by JAMESSS on 2007-06-15 07:06:14

i kept it because i reckon it looks really cool and am not a hardcore internet user who wants the fastest possible, and most smooth running explorer.
i am prepared to be patient with safari for windows.
just watch, itunes was crappy on windows in the beggining, now its great.
this will be the same.

Comment by Jono on 2007-06-15 07:06:28

I downloaded it..but i uninstalled it due to the fact that i couldnt see any text :S

Comment by Sandy on 2007-06-15 07:53:29

Man I keep it cause Safari is the only browser I want!
Lookin’ forward to seein’ the final ver.

Comment by rootkowski on 2007-06-15 10:14:41

I downloaded Safari and I’m gonna keep it. (I’m using it right now). I really like this browser. It’s fast and looks good. I know it crashes easily if I try to open Bookmarks for example but since it is still Firefox that is my primary browser it’s fine with me. (I just don’t use bookmarks in Safari now).

Comment by Joseph on 2007-06-15 14:30:07

initially, i thought it was a good piece of software, since steve boasted so much abt it… but it stinks! i only like the part where u click on the customise toolbar then the sheet came flying out towards u. tt is the only cool thing though. It has a great memory problem; it keeps draining me of my virtual memory space.
Furthermore, i prefer the ability to customise my browser in the manner that firefox alows! SAFARI ARE FOR NOOBS!
@ ROOTKOWSKI: i think you can get better speeds than safari from OPERA. Apple simply likes to exaggerate their products. One fact to note is that a computer hacker even once said that creating a virus for the mac os is much easier than to create one for Windows! The root reason why macs do not have as much virus is because of their low popularity.

Comment by agvu on 2007-06-15 14:44:31

i’ve downloaded safari (and yes i’m using it now) and so far i have experienced no crashes at all. I use bookmarks, even the ones imported from firefox, and there are no problems. i just love safari and the mac os x GUI

Comment by STWeston on 2007-06-15 15:28:47

I downloaded Safari mainly because I’m a mac fanatic. I only had to delete it once to reinstall it due to it never opening on the second or third day out. So, in most respects, I’ve kept Safari. I’m even using it to type this message!

Comment by AKA on 2007-06-15 15:53:54

I’ve kept the beta mainly for testing purposes (for websites and such). I have to admit, though, I like what I’ve experienced so far. I only experience crashes when trying to add a bookmark.

Comment by Ojalord on 2007-06-15 16:20:25

Yeah, I agree with Joseph about the only cool thing was how the dialog boxes came sliding out from the top. Everything else, the looks, even the contents of the said dialog boxes proved a huge dissapointment. I mea, in the customise toolbar option, there are no extra buttons at all (okay, so there were three; one home, one print and one to +/- text size; which are pretty much standard). Even firefox’s pitiable customize options offer more, forget about Opera…

Comment by Victor on 2007-06-15 17:45:49

I wish to keep it…. I love safari on a mac.

BUT IT CRASH on my pc !!!

I have to wait for an update.

Mean while, I use Firefox

Comment by Rob on 2007-06-15 20:25:16

I installed it and have kept it, but have gone back to Firefox. There are just too many extensions and customizations that I use in Firefox to switch to Safari or back to IE7, both of which I think are very good browsers. I’m not so into speed that the 2 seconds that Safari might save me would convince me to move to that browser full-time.

Comment by Jugalug on 2007-06-15 21:01:14

Although I originally went back to Firefox due to appearance and startup speed reasons, I kept it. It’s a beta there’s gonna be problems. Today however, I decided to try it out again, and it’s going very fast and looks good. So I’m pretty impressed.

Comment by Alex on 2007-06-16 08:41:51

I think it workes great, im using it right now on my XP Laptop, and its blazinly fast, Looks Cool and hasnt crashed once. I stronly sugest it, go to http://www.apple.com

Comment by rADo on 2007-06-16 16:45:14

I downloaded 2 times (3.0.0 and 3.0.1), and deleted 2 times.. Extremely unstable and wrondly rendered sites.

Apple is showing well its “OS X quality” to Windows users ;-)

Comment by Paddy on 2007-06-16 17:01:28

Is it me? Where as Firefox has a clear page, with safari the text is blurry and not really sharp. Links donīt show, there are lines where there should not be. I looked at it for 30 sec and started firefox again. Sorry, but this one needs a lot of work.

Comment by Maarten on 2007-06-16 23:34:37

Love to use it but it crashes everytime.. It didn’t even import my bookmarks from Firefox automaticaly, can’t do it manualy (’cause then it crashes), every page with a textfield makes it crash, crash, crash, double crash.
I think I’ll have to wait untill my MBP arrives (in August @#$%^&***(()*^^%$%#!!!!!)

Comment by wae on 2007-06-17 01:11:53

I’m among the 1,000,000, but not the 750,000. DL’ed the beta for both Mac and Win the day it came out, and it’s worked pretty well on both since I got it. I applied the update, and it’s working even better. It’s still kind of crashy though, so I’m sticking to Netscape for now.

Comment by m157y on 2007-06-17 11:29:45

i was downloaded safari and not deleted it :) of course beta not stable, but while beta-period i’m continue using opera, after stable release i’ll prefer to safari :)

Comment by Eduardo on 2007-06-18 09:48:40

I downloaded it (Windows version) and I haven’t really seen any of the issues people are complaining about, I love its simplicity and the way it renders fonts. For me, Safari 3 is a Keeper!!!

If you guys wanna talk about crap browsers, let’s talk Internet Explorer. Now that’s what I call CRAP!. Seriously, IE needs to die soon (although it probably won’t in the near future)

Comment by Dio on 2007-06-18 15:35:07

The compatibility of Safari so far is not very good. I installed it but there are few websites that text doesn’t appear.
Gif files also disappear, and UTF-8 encoding actually not working

Comment by Joseph on 2007-06-19 04:42:08

@Eduardo: In my opinion, IE will work better than Safari in Windows, since IE is a native application. Furthermore, IE IS the de facto standard for webpages and the world wide web. I prefer firefox customized to look like a safari rather than to have a safari running in my mac-mod PC.

Comment by fieroavian on 2007-06-19 06:53:22

@JOSEPH: with a firefox like this, safari just doesn’t cut it.

Comment by Ojalord on 2007-06-20 12:16:07

@Fieroavian, there’s a small difference in the shade of the titlebar and the window theme in the pic you’ve posted. To correct that, I suggest you use the Tiger Safari windowblinds theme by Toyo Snow…:) And yeah, I agree entirely with you, only in my case it’s Opera looking like that. :D