mac emulation resources
{{osxe}}

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Unread 29th November 2005
  OSX

dooze is an unknown quantity at this point
for a certain reason i had to buy my very first pc running on windows xp sp2.

i came across the osx-e website and i'm very interested in changing the look of my desktop.
since i'm new at this i dont know exactly where to begin.

i've looked into windowsblind (free version) which i think it's pretty much clear cut.

objectbar (also free version) i dont get. i've downloaded several themes but find it odd trying to imitate the taskbar to look like the ones on mac when most of the links dont work. what am i missing?? i like to change the look but not really the functionallity of it. though i do would like to change the start button. first question, so how do i go about this?

next is styler toolbar or y'z toolbar?? styler i dont really want to use cos i dont feel like shelling out $20 right now. y'z toolbar i tried it but every time i restart it screws up the toolbar on the explorer. is there anyway to keep it so it stays??

third, how much modifications can i make using visual styles. and do i need to combine visualstyles with windowblinds to get a certain look or can i just use visual styles or just windows blind??

thanks.

please to meet you all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Unread 30th November 2005
  OSX

echo79 is an unknown quantity at this point
HI,

First of all you've come to the right place...

Windowsblinds is a pretty good piece of software... you can change your windows skin (feel) the way you want pretty easely and offcourse you can do per application skining... lets say you put a finder clone and you want it to look like the finder in osx, or you want to give your browser (firefox) the safari look... this also can be accomplished using WB. You can also change the windows toolbars with it, if yztoolbar doesn't do it for you. And offcourse the file copy/move/delete animations.

Objectbar is a little difficult to mod... many settings to go through, but once you're there you'll see what an impact it is... You can hide the file menu in your windows.... and much much more. What you're missing (probably) is a good skin that you can find here on osx-e and a couple minutes of going through the apps settings. There are additional pieces of software that can go with it, like iShut, to shutdown/restart your machine.

Styler is a pretty good piece of software... it includes window skinning, toolbar skinning (like yztoolbar), drop shadows (like yzshadow, or windowsfx), windows snapping (to the edge of the screen) and much more. And yeah is payware. It still bugs me why you have problems using yztoolbar... i had it running and it worked very good. Maybe if you could give me a couple of details regarding its malfunctionality i could hive you a hand.

With VS's you can only skin windows. By using WB you can place your min, max, close buttons to the left of the window (for a more osx look), some of the themes removing even the icon that appears on the top left part of the window (pretty good thing if you ask me) and even the possibility to roll up your window like in osx. You can also do that with WinRoll, but hey the less software the smoother the pc runs (if you don't have 1 gig of ram memory).

Here's a pretty good place to start...
Osx-e presents you the Emulation Manual... use it:
http://www.osx-e.com/articles/emulation_manuals.html

Cheers.

PS: this isn't quite a New Member Introduction

OSX

dooze is an unknown quantity at this point
haha... btw, my name is dooze.

i ran yztoolbar and applied a theme. then i installed another program and asked me to restart. when i restart the yztoolbar didnt start again and the layout of the toolbar on explorer was all screwed up. i didn't see he buttons, and the address bar was only about 100pixels wide. so i played around with the layout and got it to work again.

what i have in mind is that i actually dont want to emulate os x.

a little something like this :
http://www.osx-e.com/gallery/showphoto.php.../cat/506/page/2

though i dont need the finder since i find the functionality of it not so much to be desired. maybe when i learn enough to program it myself.

the dock i got it to work.

so, what programs do i need to achive that particular look??

thanks for your help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Gman, the Cuban!

gsbd41316 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gsbd41316 Send a message via Yahoo to gsbd41316
Also make sure you get this new and better finder that just came out in beta version.

http://www.osx-e.com/downloads/finder/xfinder.html

OSX

echo79 is an unknown quantity at this point
1. You need Objectbar, with that theme... don't know what it is.
2. Avedesk and Konfabulator for the widgets
3. Rklauncher
A little tweaking.... and thats it.

Unread 2nd January 2006
  Bright Spark

MadMacs is just really niceMadMacs is just really niceMadMacs is just really niceMadMacs is just really niceMadMacs is just really niceMadMacs is just really niceMadMacs is just really niceMadMacs is just really nice
Re: Hi Pc Noobs Here
Try downloading flyakiteosx v2.0.

Unread 2nd January 2006
  OSX

pabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hi Pc Noobs Here
If you can wait: wait untill flyakiteOSX version 3 is available. Maybe this month.

But personally I believe Windowblinds, Bootskin and Logonstudio ( all applications available at 'Stardock' that change the windows , logon-screen and boot-screen) do a better job if you really want the look of a Mac then flyakiteOSX 2 at this moment.