mac emulation resources

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 10th November 2007
  Wants a MacBook...

STWeston is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to STWeston
Special OS X Terminal Commands
Hey, everyone. It's been a while. I've been doing some research about Mac OS X, and I found some Terminal commands that I'd like to share (for those who have Macs).

Command #1: Login Messages
Copy and paste this command into Terminal to make a special Login message whenever someone logs in:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LoginwindowText "example text"

You will be prompted to type the Admin password. Replace "example text" with whatever you want to use as your message. To disable, type nothing in the quotes.

Command #2: Add double scroll bars on both sides

defaults write "Apple Global Domain" AppleScrollBarVariant DoubleBoth

Use the Appearances pane in System Preferences to change back.

Command #3: Add Dashboard Widgets to the Desktop

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES
killall Dock

This allows you to drag widgets out of Dashboard onto the desktop. Requires the dock to be relaunched to take effect, so type "killall Dock" and press enter. Now, if you click and hold onto a widget in the dashboard and press F12 to return to the desktop, the widget won't disappear with the rest. Put NO at the end to reverse.

Command #4: Invert iTunes Store Links

defaults write com.apple.iTunes invertStoreLinks -bool YES

Normally the arrows next to artists and albums in your iTunes library search the iTunes store when you click them. This command changes them so that clicking will search your iTunes library instead. Put NO at the end to reverse.

And, as an added bonus, I found a review of Leopard's icons that has a funny icon included. Simply go to System -> Library -> CoreServices. Then scroll down to see public.generic-pc.icns. It's funny, I hear. If someone could reply posting this icon, I'd be grateful.

Anyway, I hope that everyone's been fine without me.

Old 10th November 2007
  TheGodfather

alang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to allalang is a name known to all
Re: Special OS X Terminal Commands
well here is the icon

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Old 11th November 2007
  Wants a MacBook...

STWeston is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to STWeston
Re: Special OS X Terminal Commands
Thanks, Alang. Pretty funny! Here's an update on the Commands. I found another one to change the Login Background. I'll copy an excerpt from a Macworld blog entry...
Quote:
To get ready for this change, you need two things: an image you’d like to use, sized to your default screen resolution, and an open Terminal window. Once you have the picture you’d like to use, there’s a secret as to where to store the image: save it in your user’s Public folder, at the top level. The other alternative is to put it in the top-level Library -> Desktop Pictures folder, but that sort of defeats the purpose of not modifying the system-owned folders, doesn’t it? The reason your picture needs to go in your Public folder is that it needs to be available to all users. (There are workarounds, but they require mucking about with permissions. And why bother if there’s no need?)
Once the image is ready and saved in the right spot, switch to the Terminal window, and enter this command:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DesktopPicture "/Users/[user's_shortname]/Public/[myloginbg].jpg"

[Copy and Paste the text above] into the open Terminal window. However, before you press Return, you’ll need to edit it a bit for your particular setup. Move back with the Left Arrow key until you’re at the / after [user's_shortname]. Now press Delete to erase that bit, and enter your short username instead. Using the Right Arrow, move to the end of the filename, and replace it with the name of your file—make sure you leave the last quotation mark in place. For instance, here’s what that portion of the command looks like on my system:

"/Users/robg/Public/LeopardX.jpg"

Once you’re sure everything looks right, press Return and provide your admin password when asked. If you typed everything right, Terminal won’t echo anything back after you enter your password—you’ll just get the command prompt back. To test your new background, the easiest thing to do is enable Fast User Switching (in System Preferences -> Accounts, then click the Login Options item below the account list). In the menu bar, click the Fast User Switching entry and select Login Window. If the command worked, you’ll see your new login screen. If it didn’t, you’ll probably see a solid blue background instead. If it didn’t work, try it again and make sure you have the command correct, with the proper filename (and filenames in Terminal are case sensitive).

If you ever tire of your custom screen, you can restore the default version by deleting the entry you created in the preferences file:

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DesktopPicture

The next time you see the login screen, it should be the familiar Aqua Blue (10.4) or deep space picture (10.5). Although this method is perhaps a bit more complicated than others, it’s a very safe way to replace the login window image without fear of damaging your system.
I think it may be complicated, but it's probably worth it. Earlier on in the entry, it says the picture can go through an upgrade, as well.

Just another two cents.

Last edited by STWeston; 11th November 2007 at 05:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

« - | - »