mac emulation resources
{{osxe}}

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Unread 14th August 2005
  OSX

Ali C. is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation
Now, we all know already Windows sucks. But 90% of us don't want to drop the cash for a Mac mini when we could just get PearPC and Tiger and another hard drive for that price and have a good time. But anyway. This is just a little bit of ranting fun-pick out the 10 most annoying Windows things to you.
Now here's my list-

10. Why did Microsoft creat a special UXTheme and make a big deal out of something that you can only get 4 extra themes for unless you hack it to block their licensing restriction. You wanna talk about stifling innovation? Well it's a good thing innovation is stronger than Bill Gates, or we'd all still have bland looking windows.
9. WMP10-What the heck is the big idea of skinning when to do anything besides play things means you have to go back to corny @$$ full mode? Why not be cool like just about every other media app which lets you skin the whole interface?
8. Just WHY can't your interface be fun and animated? Those so called tranisitions for minimizing and maximizing windows were outdated by the time Windows 98 came out, yet you STILL use them?
7. It took you guys THIS LONG to think of having a 3D interface?
6. Can you guys make a slower disk defrag utility?
5. Internet Explorer, oh, IE, you do love to hump that spyware under your blue 'e', don't you? You NOW think of a pop up blocker when the other guys not only already have popup blockers, but have them working? Yeah, I said WORKING. And blocking what we the people DON'T want to see, unlike your trashy blocker that instead keeps us from watching an innocent Yahoo trailer.
4. Why do you insist we send an error report every time something crashes when you totally ignore it anyway?
3. Why is SP2's security stuff so insecure? Couldn't shake hands with any of the antivirus guys, so you decided to get a few newbies together to code it then send it out without proper inspection? I know that isn't really how it went down, but it sure feels that way.
2. Why the long idle drawals when you could explain what went wrong in so much fewer words? That's like wanting to have nothing but WAV files of your MP3s. Just a silly waste of space.
and the number one....
1. *sort of continuing on #2* Why oh WHY does your program crash alert have to be so big and dumb? 'This program has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienience.' is probably one of the most annoying computer sentences to breach our poor troubled eyeballs. If there were some way to change your dumb message I would. Not to mention your long idle drawl about how our info might be lost and all about how you'll treat our report as confidential and anonymous. You know how Apple says it (this is based on one I played with at Best Buy awhile back)? A program terminated unexpectedly, would you like to send a report to Apple about it, yes or no. Or something like that. But it was a lot simpler and smarter than calling the computer a we. Who's the we? I know Microsoft, but come on, when my computer is telling me this, I intend to see little green men running rampant under my computer case hammering on the harddrive the cause of the problem.

If anyone knows how to change that dumb program error message I'd love you to PM me on how. Meanwhile, go ahead and post your Windows pet peeves.

*note-no windows were broken while making this piece. this was written while in Firefox. I'm way too cool for IE too. And this wasn't meant to offend anyone, not even Bill Gates. It was only meant to shout out.*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Unread 14th August 2005

wala is just really nicewala is just really nicewala is just really nicewala is just really nicewala is just really nicewala is just really nicewala is just really nicewala is just really nice
woohoo! This is my 200th post!

I guess the main reasons are (in no particular order):

-the gas guzzling of system resources (with my mac mini, i never knew there was so much power in 1.25ghz)

-the filesystem (in NTFS I get long "copying" messages whenever i move something, whereas moving even the Xcode 2.1 700mb disk image took less than a second)

-windows media player is a horrid, ugly, slow-loading itunes wannabe!

-who the heck uses DOS anymore? UNIX, baby!

-explorer crashes several times a day (on a mac i get an occasional safari error, but almost never anything to do with the finder!)

-service packs create more problems than they solve... for instance, think of when you have the popup blocker turned on and you are filling out an application for something. You go to the "submit" buttton, the popup blocker says "popup blocked... to allow it click here"... and say you don't know that holding down the CTRL key or whatever allows popups too, so you click on the information bar and all of a sudden the page refreshes, and your 50 lines of data are lost. And why does Microsoft force me to update my copy of Word? I get that stupid dialkog box every time I try to open it. Now when I doubleclick on a word document it doesn't open it by default, it just shows that dialog and forces you to find it. I don't think anyone ever benefited from SP2.

-the complete lack of any security, especially in IE

-should i say anything about spyware and viruses? i mean, there are maybe 80 known viruses for OS X, and all of them run under the Classic Environment. If that's not surprising, then consider this: with Xcode, Apple gives you all the tools you need to write malicious software and adware, yet no one has done it. I admit I have been tempted more than once to write one in Applescript :Evil:

-taskbar and general interface behavior/look (why can't we move windows in the taskbar?)(why do you people squish your menu bars into a monotone corner of the window when they can stand proud at the top of the screen!)(luna is a bulky terribly poorly designed UI thats ugly beyond imagining)

-it gets worse once you know that the core of the os is raggedy and ancient, patched and repatched to make it think it belongs in the 21st century

Unread 14th August 2005
  OSX Puma

vkeios is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to vkeios Send a message via MSN to vkeios Send a message via Yahoo to vkeios
Reasons I love Windows.
1. I loved dos back in the day.
2. Explorer has crashed about 5 times a year for me.

Reasons I hate Windows.
1. ntfs and hfs suck, reiserfs is quick as hell.
2. Activex.

Can't actually think of 10 reasons,
Its still a good os, and I won't stop using it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Unread 15th August 2005
  Yahoo Widgets

ghostwalker will become famous soon enoughghostwalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to ghostwalker
1.Microsoft
2.Microsoft
3.Microsoft
4.Microsoft
5.Microsoft
6.Microsoft
7.Microsoft
8.Microsoft
9.Microsoft
10.Microsoft
Need more reasons...

Unread 15th August 2005
  OSX

darktear is an unknown quantity at this point
Lemme see..

- Spyware/ad-ware
- Virus
- The unbelivable drain of memory
- Crashes
- The lack of compitable to anything but .net
- The general problems I encounter every day
- It's slow
- The name enoys me (windows, why not call it something super)
- The way it looks
- it's over-dimentioned try to be compatible with all hardware and devises

I hope Vista is better than I think, maby Vista's SP2 will settel things straight

Unread 15th August 2005
  OSX Panther

AppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really nice
10 Reasons Why I hate Windows:

10. Bad Security Protection (clearly it is no good)
9. Too many vulnerabilities (What kind of protection is this from Microsoft?)
8. Too many RAM-killing applications
7 Stupid-looking interface (unless it is Mac-Stylized, then I would really like it :Grin: )
6. No clear integration between Windows and a Mac (other than Windows to Mac Emulation, of course :Lips-Are-Sealed: )
5. Windows XP SP2 Firewall is very weak (I used ZoneAlarm and it protected me from a hacking attempt, which is good :Grin: )
4. Windows Always crashes (man, I hate that! :Angry: )
3. Windows has some of the worst-looking wallpapers (some are good, but in the end, they look pretty darn ugly on your desktop unless they are Mac Wallpapers :Smile: )
2. Internet Explorer is not good AT ALL (it loads very slowly and slows the system to a halt, which REALLY wastes my time :Not-Amused: )
1. The Taskbar (This is no good at all on the count of the fact that it isn't sleek like a Mac toolbar and barely has any features compared to the Mac Taskbar. If I could permanent get rid of the so called 'taskbar,' I'd kill it instantly and replace it with A Mac style bar. :Grin: )

Unread 16th August 2005
  OSX Puma

Kd527 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kd527
LOL at everyone! Yep I feel the same way. With my new iBook, though I haven't had a single lockup, crash or anything! With my PC the first day I built it it locked up on me! lol. And of course besides the instablility issues there's the insecurity issues...

Unread 17th September 2005
  OSX

kman42 is an unknown quantity at this point
no comment... lol
I'm just waiting for Vista
or until I can get my mom a mac mini...

lol

Unread 17th September 2005
  OSX Panther

AppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really niceAppleG5 is just really nice
I'm still begging for an iBook! (man, am I desperate!) :Frown: :Grin: :Smile:

Unread 18th October 2005
  ╦╩[vish]ν

vishesh_l is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb
well u guys ve already written why i dont like windows...

same ol...security stuff,crashes,stupid ui,

im glad i bumped into the emulation community,now my system looks works n feels so wonderful,

although the core is still "windows"...aaargh !

the reason im not getting a mac mini is....its not expandable...i need to install so many cards,audio video stuff...

while on the topic,guys....can i install a dual monitor board on a mac mini ???