Jan

How to create a reflecting icons in photoshop

This tutorial is originally posted by bearpaw from Aqua-Soft here.

Step 1
Open your basic icon. This should be square image, usually 256 x 256 pixels and will need to be a .png file with transparent background
step1.jpg

Step 2
Resize your icon. This should be dead easy - select your image using Ctrl+A, then go to Edit>Transform>Scale. You can either use Shift and the drag handle or just type 90% into the height and width boxes at the top of your screen. Then drag your icon to the top of the canvas.
step2.jpg

Step 3
Duplicate the icon by right clicking on the layer in the Layer Pallette and selecting Duplicate Layer.
step3.jpg

Step 4
With this new layer still selected, go to Edit>Transform>Flip Vertical to turn the copied icon upside down.
step4.jpg

Step 5
Still with this layer selected, hold down Shift and click and drag the upside down icon to below the original, leaving just a tiny gap.
step5.jpg

Step 6
Right click on the layer in the Layers Pallette and go to Blending Options. Once you get there, change the Opacity of the layer to 50% (under where it says General blending).
step6.jpg

Step 7
In the Layers Pallette again, click the button second from the left on the bottom of the Pallete to add a Layer Mask. A layer mask is an invisible black-and-white mask that sets a layer’s transparency - black is fully transparent, white is fully opaque.
step7.jpg

Step 8
Select the Gradient tool (Ctrl + G) and make sure you select the Black to White gradient. Next, click at the bottom of the reflection and drag the gradient upwards to the top of the reflection.
step8.jpg

And here is the results
final.jpg

Comment by Taka on 2008-01-04 23:07:04

Hi!
My name is Taka.I am Japanese.
I make it with PhotoShop Elements.
How to use was this year and understood it.
I set opacity to 20%.
Possibly numerical value may be different depending on a theme setting.
Thanks

Comment by Myssynen on 2008-01-05 07:15:17

I founded this too yesterday from deviantart and converted all my dock icons to reflective ones. Nice tutorial :) I’m graphic designer, but I wast’n remember how to do that mask thing. If you make many icons it’s easy and fast to record most of these settings to actions.

Comment by shanahben on 2008-01-05 15:46:22

this is kewl!

Comment by ciken on 2008-01-08 23:06:42

great tutorial..thanks

Comment by Karlstyle on 2008-01-16 00:45:25

hi everyone if you dont have photoshop and dont want to fork out you can do this on microsoft photo editor i used it christmas eve to make an accurate reflective icon set and i got a mini the next day lol i felt soo stupid, fell free to correct me if im wrong i dont know itf you have to pay for this microsoft photo 10 i think if not ill be happy to make the icons in my spare time when im not doing my coursework, does anyone know off a program for mac that can reflect i got pixelmator free trial and nothing there any ideas

karl

Comment by Karlstyle on 2008-01-16 00:51:21

hi if anyone doesent have photoshop and doesent want to fork out a bit for, it on christmas eve i was reflecting icons on microsoft photo 10 then i got a mini the next day i felt soooo stupid lol, correct me if im wrong, im not sure if you have to pay for this if so i can make develop some icons if you need them while im not doing my coursework, by the way does anyone know of a program which i can reflect icons on my mac which i find easier to use ? thanks in future !

Comment by bobwama on 2008-04-22 10:59:45

gr8 tutorial
this works much better than ireflector